Transition to Kindergarten Parent Guides
The Michigan Department of Education (MDE), Office of Great Start/Early Childhood Education and Family Services, is pleased to share a resource for parents of children entering kindergarten. The resource is a culmination of many offices within MDE working together to develop Parent Guides, a series of tip sheets which highlight a variety of questions parents may have when their children are entering kindergarten.
The Parent Guides were developed out of a request from a stakeholder group of parents of young children who reported that the most difficult transition time for them was kindergarten entry. The Parent Guides were reviewed by the Parent Involvement Committee of the Michigan Inter-agency Coordinating Council (MICC) and were approved by the MICC and authorized for distribution by MDE.
- Directory of Parent Guides
- Introduction: Entry into Kindergarten
- Is My Child Required to Attend Kindergarten?
- How Do I Know If My Child Is Ready for Kindergarten?
- How Do I Enroll My Child in Kindergarten?
- Early Entry Option for Kindergarten Enrollment
- What if My Child Has a Disability?
- Selecting Full or Half-day Kindergarten, Which is Best for My Child?
- How Will My Child Get to School?
- What Does a Great Kindergarten Program Look Like?
- What Will My Child Do in Kindergarten?
- Why Play in Kindergarten?
- What Will My Child Learn in Kindergarten? Reading and Math Success=Student Success
- What Will My Child Learn in Kindergarten? Student Success in Science, Technology, Social Studies, Nutrition and Health, Physical Education, the Arts, Careers, and for some World Languages
- How Do I Know if My Child is Learning?
- What if There Are Concerns About My Child's Development?
- What is a 504 Plan for Children With Special Needs?
- What Can I Do at Home?
- How Can I Help My Child Become a Reader?
- How Can I Help My Child Ease Those First Day Jitters?
- Are There Books to Read to Get My Child Ready for Kindergarten?
- How Can I Be Engaged With My Child's Education?
- What About Communication?
- What Do I Do if My Child Does Not Speak English?
- What About Sharing My Family Culture?
- Will My Child Benefit From an Extra Year of Kindergarten?